Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Love Songs

My wife and I celebrate our 59th wedding anniversary today. We were married on February 9, 1963. In an earlier post about our courtship, I called it a fine romance that has lasted to the present day. With Valentine's Day just around the corner, I'd like to post some of our favorite song lyrics that have a special meaning for us.

"Love Walked In" is perhaps the best song ever written by George and Ira Gershwin. My favorite version is by Jazz vocalist Chris Conner, but here is a link to an upbeat version by The Hilltoppers.

Love walked right in and drove the shadows away

Love walked right in and brought my sunniest day

One magic moment and my heart seemed to know that love said hello

though not a word was spoken

One look and I forgot the gloom of the past

One look and I had found my future at last

One look and I had found a world completely new

when love walked in with you.


Anne Murray has always been a great favorite, Here is a link to her version of "You Needed Me." 

I cried a tear, you wiped it dry

I was confused, you cleared my mind

I sold my soul, you bought it back for me

And held me up and gave me dignity

Somehow you needed me

You gave me strength to stand alone again

You put me high upon a pedestal

So high that I could almost see eternity

You needed me, you needed me

And I can't believe it's you

I can't believe it's true

I needed you and you were there

and I'll never leave, why should I leave?

I'd be a fool 'cause I finally found someone who really cares

You held my hand when it was cold

when I was lost, you took me home

You gave me hope when I was at the end

You turned my lies back into truth again

You even called me "friend"

You gave me strength to stand alone again

to face the world out on my own again

You put me high upon a pedestal

So high that I could almost see eternity

You needed me, you needed me

You needed me, you needed me.


Perhaps the greatest love lyric was written almost 2000 years ago by a Jewish tentmaker. As far as I know the words have not been put to music.

 

      Love is patient, love is kind.

      It is not jealous, it is not pompous,

      it is not inflated, it is not rude,

      it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered,     it does not brood over injury,

      it does not rejoice over wrongdoing

      but rejoices with the truth.

      It bears all things, believes all things,

      hopes all things, endures all things.


###


PS.  Here's one last song for Lyn. Click on the link or see the video below.





1 comment:

  1. My heart is so touched by your love for each other. Just what I needed in the depth of Winter.Hugs to each of you . Let’s hear it for long term romance. Thank you for sharing this. Lovely photo🌺

    ReplyDelete