Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Memory

                                            

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day in the USA and I was thinking of listing all the people in my life to whom I owe a debt of thanks. The more I thought about it the list grew larger and larger until I realized that it would be impossible to list everyone. Often when we think of thanksgiving, we think of offering thanks to God, but the older I get the more I realize that God works through the people we have known and encountered in our lives.

Since I can’t list everybody here, I will just single out my sister-in-law, Anita, who died suddenly yesterday after suffering a stroke. She was married to my brother Joe for almost fifty years, and loved by him and her three daughters. It will be very hard for them this Thanksgiving but they do have a lot to be thankful for. They liked the same things, especially their getaway cabin in the Catskills. They were both New York Yankee fans and I never met a more loyal or knowledgeable fan than Anita.

Anita was quiet and reserved, and I can’t say that I was ever able to get to know her very well. I married and left the old neighborhood in Queens, but my brother  and Anita stayed in the City.  We would meet at the occasional family gatherings where she was usually content to sit on the couch with her daughters and take it all in. I suspect that she was usually laughing within as the human comedy played on before her.




###

No comments:

Post a Comment