Monday, October 31, 2022

Aaron Judge: Yankee Superstar

  

                                         


As I write, the Houston Astros and the Philadelphia Phillies are tied at one game apiece in this years World Series, but for me the season came to an end when the Astros swept the New York Yankees to win the  American League championship. As long as I can remember, I have been a Yankee fan.

 In 1946, at the age of seven, I became a baseball fan while listening on the radio as the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Boston Red Sox in a World Series marked by a pivotal run scored by hustling Cardinal Enos Slaughter.  I think baseball is the only game where plays like that remain etched in your mind over a lifetime.

Next year, living in New York  City’s borough of Queens, I became a fan of the Yankees with their great Italian triumvirate of DiMaggio, Berra, Rizzuto. Most of the games then were played during the day, and I recall sitting under the grape arbor behind my grandparents’ home next door listening to the broadcasts. My parents and my grandparents were not particularly interested in baseball, but the kids in the neighborhood and at school were rabid fans. We constantly played all kinds of ball games on the sidewalks, in the streets, and in back lots. We formed imaginary teams and even kept stats.

In 1947 the Yankees won the World Series against the hated Brooklyn Dodgers. I vividly recall, after walking home from school one day, turning on the radio to hear Yankee pitcher Bill Bevens give up a double to Cookie Lavagetto (another Italian) and lose the game as well as a no-hitter in the ninth inning. Nevertheless,  I was hooked. The Yankees were in my blood. They didn’t win the pennant in 1948 but in 1949, they began an incredible streak of five straight World Series victories under legendary manager Casey Stengel.

Now, in my eighties, I still think that baseball is the best of all spectator sports. I am not alone. If you look at today’s lineups, you will see that the World Series is a true world series. Still, I find it difficult to either watch the games on TV or listen on the radio. It’s not just the incessant commercials between innings, but also between practically every pitch: “this walk to the mound is brought to you by xyz,” or “this pitch is brought to you by abc.” More than the commercials, I find that at my age I cannot bear the tension, especially in the play-offs which have become more exciting than the World Series. Nerd that I am, I prefer to study the stats after the games are over. 

Speaking of stats, this year the Yankees’ Aaron Judge had one of the greatest years in Yankee and in baseball history. It was not only that he tied Babe Ruth’s 1927 154 game record for home runs, and beat Roger Maris’s 1961 total of 61 over 162 games, but also his other stats were phenomenal. His 62 home runs, and 131 runs batted in (rbis) led the league by wide margins. His batting average of .311 was second in the league in a year when only a handful of players hit over .300. If you add his 111 walks (many intentional) to his 177 hits, you get an incredible on-base percentage of .425.  

I don’t mean to take anything away from Ruth or Maris but Judge’s performance in 2022 exceeded theirs in 1927 and 1961. In a year when batting averages were down and pitching dominated, Judge’s numbers were way above the baseball average. Just compare his numbers with Shohei Ohtani, the LA Angels star, who is his competition for Most Valuable Player this year.

Ruth and Maris had great numbers, but they never faced the kind of pitching that Judge faced this year. In times past, it was a rare pitcher who could throw over 95 mph, much less 100 mph. If they could, they would lack control. Today, every team seems to be loaded with pitchers who consistently throw over 95 mph with control. In one playoff game, the Yankees’ Luis Severino averaged 97 mph. Moreover, a friend of mine mentioned that the ball was not as lively this year as it was just two years ago. A statistical research firm claimed that if the 2020 balls had been used this year, Judge would have hit over 80 home runs. 

It is true that he stumbled in the playoffs against an outstanding Houston pitching staff, but that should not detract from one of the greatest performances in baseball history.

###

3 comments:

  1. Wait until next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sorry for you Frank, but as a lifelong Astros fan, I am loving it, we have the best team possible, best pitching and depth. We have the team effort and not one individual showing off (Jeter/Judge/.....). I don't like prima donnas, I LOVE when all ingredients come together for a perfect symphony and that is my Astros. Watch us win in 6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say it aint so, Roger. I appreciate team play as much as anybody, but Judge was no prima donna in the bad sense of the word. I never saw him gloat or boast. He was a true team player not just a slugger. He could have hit more homers but chose to hit for average. He was an excellent outfielder and even stole 16 bases. In the words of Jane Austen, "he had a right to be proud."

      Delete