Friday, January 31, 2020

A Walk in the Woods*



I
know when I have been away too long
the senses have been dulled
by the glass and asphalt world

I
walk much too quickly
but the senses slowly awaken
my eyes now focus on what

I
had missed ten minutes ago
my hearing becomes more acute

I
now begin to revel in the aromas
permeating the air
my pace slows to a crawl
everything excites me
how could I have missed the salamander
resting on a moss covered log

I
get down on my hands and knees
turn over rocks
smell he earth
the air
is delicious

I
 breathe slowly

I
exhale on a fern frond

I
know we share
some primitive DNA

marvel at the 
Dragonfly
perched on my shoulder

I
see its great ancestor
in the multifaceted eyes
and once again


am king of kings
on dragonfly wings

###

Robert Louis DeStefano

Somewhere in the Berkshires


* I have just discovered that my younger brother Robert has turned to the writing of poetry. For years and years I have known him as a master science teacher and naturalist but recently he showed me a little collection of poems he has written, most based on his great love of nature. He claims that he wrote these poems to pass the time while proctoring classroom exams but it seems to me that they reflect a lifetime of experiencing nature at close hand. 

A walk in the woods with him is a true adventure. As he meanders among the trees and shrubs behind his log cabin in the Berkshires he points out, identifies, and discusses practically every plant and tree. He says his interest began in the garden of the back yard of our grandparents home in Woodside, NY. Of course, the woods had long disappeared in Woodside but the garden was an oasis. I also grew up in the same garden with its vegetables, flowers, grape vine, cherry tree and mysterious fig tree that came to life again each year after severe pruning, but I never developed his interest in nature especially in seemingly common forms like ferns and salamanders. It was a gift, a gift that is evident in the poems he has written like the one published above.






1 comment: